Office is a San Francisco-based creative studio that crafts strategies and designs experiences to make things better.
What We Do
We work with leading brands and emerging businesses to clarify their stories and create meaningful experiences that matter to people. This includes brand strategy, visual identities, packaging, advertising, digital experiences, communications and environments. We don’t have a singular, proprietary process; we adapt to the unique needs, work processes and internal cultures of each client. But we find the most successful (and fun) relationships are truly collaborative. And the very best work is created together. In 2014, Office was awarded the Smithsonian's Cooper Hewitt National Design Award to honor lasting achievement in American design and recognize excellence, innovation and enhancement of the quality of life. The Office team was honored by First Lady Michelle Obama at the White House.
Over the past 10+ years, we’ve been fortunate to help build brands we believe in. Whether a global Fortune 100 company or Silicon Valley start-up, for us, it’s about the organization’s potential and the client’s courage to differentiate through design. Some of our partners, past and present, include:
Office is located in the vibrant and almost always sunny Mission District of San Francisco, in what used to be a window factory. Our team of experienced strategists, designers, writers and account directors are intensely curious and passionate about designing better experiences. Being a small studio keeps us collaborative, fast, flexible and creative. It helps us build close, long-term partnerships with our clients. And it allows our core leadership team to be involved in every project we take on.
Jill Robertson / President
Jill leads our strategy engagements, to help our clients make a positive impact. She gets excited about framing ideas, reframing conversations and drinking iced chai.
- Inspired by her twin boys, co-founded Wee Society to spark little imaginations.
- Used to be communications director and speechwriter for the CEO of Gap Inc.
- Was raised in rural Iowa (home to Albert, the world’s largest bull).
Jason Schulte / Founder & Creative Director
Jason helps our team create differentiated work that emotionally resonates with people.
- Has received lots of design awards, including this one. Keeps them all in the bathroom.
- Brings Elvis with him to work every day.
- Grew up in Green Mountain, Iowa (where there’s no mountain).
Rob Alexander / Creative Director
Rob subscribes to Dieter Rams’ mantra, “less, but better.” He starts with a million ideas, then relentlessly edits to find the simplest way to tell the client’s story.
- Favorite pirate-related project (so far).
- Dad to Finn, who is also a crazy-talented illustrator.
- Never, ever gets flustered. No matter how hard we try.
Emily Bolls / Strategist
Emily has 15+ years experience developing consumer-inspired marketing and communications strategies. Clients appreciate her clarity, candor and ability to lead productive discussions in record time.
- Started her career as a writer and editor for business and tech magazines.
- As stroke seat on her crew team, she set the pace and rhythm for the boat. Same goes for her projects.
- Awarded “most fun to be around” in her 8th grade yearbook.
Cindy Wu / Account Director
Cindy makes sure we get things done. She completely gets the creative process. And she never, ever misses a deadline.
- Leads large-scale global projects for P&G, PepsiCo and others.
- Does adventure racing.
- Passionate about organization, clarity and snacks.
We hire exceptional design thinkers and doers from all disciplines. If you think Office could be your dream job, tell us why at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The ideal candidate is passionate about the art and detail of design, gets brand strategy and storytelling, and thrives in a collaborative environment. Must love dogs.
Must also have:
- Relevant work experience.
- Impressive portfolio of design work across identity, packaging, digital, retail/environments, and advertising. Experience in After Effects is a huge plus.
- Strong strategic instincts and sense of curiosity.
- Desire to work on a wide range of projects.
- Willingness to dive in to help on both administratively boring and creatively exciting stuff.
- Passions outside work that make lunch conversations more interesting.
For the latest job openings and other studio happenings, follow us on Twitter.
Reimagining the best 30 minutes of a child’s day
Each year, over 85 million Disney fans experience the magic of the brand, not by visiting the theme parks, but by walking into one of the 320 Disney Stores. With this in mind, the Disney Store team asked Office to help them completely reimagine the store experience across the U.S., Europe and Asia, with the goal of it becoming “the best 30 minutes of a child’s day.”
Watch out for flying fairies
Focused on engaging kids and their parents in creative, unexpected ways, we developed the brand story and design strategy, and created dozens of innovative concepts — from store programming and store design elements, to cast member uniforms, to interactive and customizable packaging.
We also created the Disney Store identity and visual vocabulary, and established a tone of voice that’s rooted in Disney storytelling — including writing the silly “Store Rules” and naming the signature “Pixie Dust Trail.” We then built detailed voice and design guidelines to help the team implement the new system around the world.
Once upon a sale
Following the Disney Store redesign, the team asked us to create in-store marketing platforms. Aligned with the new voice and design guidelines, we created “Tink’s Treasure of the Week” and the “Twice Upon a Year Sale” names and visual executions to inject a little design magic into the “sale” messaging.
After the stores’ redesign, traffic, sales and profit margins increased by 20%, according to Stephen Finney, SVP of global retail operations at Disney Stores. Over 90% of Disney Store guests in North America and Europe said the new store design has brought them closer to the Disney brand.
Branding & Identity
Retail & Environments